The Colonel Tench Tilghman Chapter NSDAR is a lineage society that furthers the objectives of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR). The objectives are historic preservation, promotion of education, and patriot endeavor. The chapter achieves these objectives in the Bethesda community through our programs and activities.
COLONEL TENCH TILGHMAN CHAPTER NSDAR
The Colonel Tench Tilghman Chapter NSDAR was organized on November 3, 1922, with 13 members.
|Nellie Allnut||Corresponding Secretary|
|Sarah Loughborough Brown||Recording Secretary|
|Virginia Ptizhugh Crawley||Registrar|
|Emma Moffat Dickens||Treasurer|
|Anne Estelle Hall|
|Sara Randolph Hardcastle|
|Mary Welsh Henderson|
|Margaret Cabell Loughborough||Vice Regent|
|Margaret McClellan Loughborough|
|Alberta Brown Regester|
|Ethel Lyddane Spears|
The Colonel Tench Tilghman Chapter NSDAR has been the guardian of the Bethesda Madonna of the Trail statue since its dedication on April 19, 1929. To mark the old trails used by settlers, twelve of the NSDAR memorials to Pioneer Mothers were erected from Bethesda, Maryland to Upland, California. The Bethesda statue was originally located at the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Montgomery Lane. It was stored for a number of years during construction of a Metro Center, only a block from its original location. In 1986, the chapter held a rededication ceremony and, in 1993, promoted restoration of this cherished monument.